Thursday 20 November 2014

Final Music Video (Mise En Scene)

The Gospel Of John Hurt is represented by the colour purple
As previously explained, I want to make the colour purple a prominent and crucial aspect in the video, which I want to weave throughout. It won't be present in every scene, but (bottom line), people will know that the colour purple is important.

One of the most vital and crucial things in my music video (within the representations), is a cross on my actor's chest. (I should probably explain now that I do have a male actor in my music video, played by Jake Loft). An evident theme throughout The Divine Comedy is a red cross upon Dante's chest. I want to emulate this, but instead of the cross being red, I want to make it purple and make it fit in with the colour that represents The Gospel Of John Hurt and which conforms to that colour which is used throughout the entire video.

Dante's Inferno, from the animated-film adaptation
In addition, because the album cover for This Is All Yours is paint upon a white canvas (it's probably got a deeper meaning than that, it's alt-J after all...), I wanted to emulate some form of paint within the music video, as I (as previously explained) want to additionally adopt themes from the album along with The Divine Comedy. With this idea, I wish to literally take the the purple paint which is symbolic to The Gospel Of John Hurt and put it upon my actor's chest, just like the red cross which is upon the chest of Dante. Instead of making the cross very detailed and structured and extremely professional-looking, I want to simply paint on the purple cross upon my actor's chest, and simply leave it how it is from the first application of the paint. This is because this method of presenting the cross conforms to my ideology of the music video: simple, artistic and minimalistic as well as ultimately making it look like it's from the album cover itself.

Dante's Inferno, from the video game adaptation
Furthermore, I've drawn influence from Biffy Clyro's album cover for the God & Satan EP. In this, we can point out who is God and who is Satan. This theme (with the album cover) fits in perfectly with my chosen portrayal of The Divine Comedy as the poem is about the soul's joinery towards God with Dante ascending through Hell (where he is met by Satan, Purgatory and eventually Paradise. I want to also elaborate on this album cover. As well as using the chairs and table (minus the man and horse in the background though), I want to have a chess board in the middle of God and Satan. This is due to my inspiration from the Albert Einstein quote: "God doesn't play dice". He may not play dice, but he plays chess.

Album cover for the 'God & Satan' EP by Biffy Clyro
I also want to emulate the costumes, with their colour. This being the black and white shown in the album cover. Alongside my actor, I will be taking up the role of one of the portrayals of either God or Satan. At this time, I'm not sure which one yet. If possible, I wish the make the chess piece upon the chess board purple, which adds to the while purpley-Gospel Of John Hurt representation.

No comments:

Post a Comment